Tuesday, April 27, 2010

A Good Home for the Puppy


I am learning some cool stuff from the educational books I read for my job. I learned about the four thinking types: Beach Ball, Clipboard, Microscope and Puppy.

I used to believe only linear and concrete people like the clipboards and microscopes made desireable job candidates. I would do my best imitation and hope to get the job, then get frustrated trying to tame my puppy-ness.

I was brave enough this time to be a puppy during the interview. Would you believe, it, they actually wanted a puppy?

Puppies are also known as abstract random thinkers. We like to talk about things. We live in a world of feelings and emotion and learn best when we can personalize information. And yes, we tend to take things personally. But I will be your loyal friend. Just throw me a bone and pat my head once in awhile!

Here's what's important to me in a work setting:

• Comfortable environment
• Encouraging atmosphere
• Supportive grouping
• Safe climate
• Respectful colleagues
• Empathic listeners
• Sensitive peers

This explains why my old work environment was so ill-suited to me. It was hard spending those five months in the shelter waiting for someone to take me home. I hope my new family is as happy with me as I am with them.

No matter what your brain type is -- it's wonderful to be wanted for exactly who you are. Be couragous enough to be yourself. It's worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment