Tuesday, July 13, 2010

He was just here


Here are Bob's parents, Angie and Pete Lopez, sitting on our couch on Father's Day. Just a few weeks ago. Bob's sister had written a nice tribute to her dad and was reading it aloud. Her boyfriend had written a song called "You don't have to say good-bye" and had it recorded with family members singing and giving tributes to dad. We played it for dad that day and he just loved it. I was thinking, "this is kind of maudlin, because even though he's been sick for a year, he still seems so strong." I'm so glad we played it for him. Two weeks later, he was gone. Now we are planning his memorial service. It was much more fun paying tribute to him while he was here. A friend of mine wrote a poem for his mother after she passed away called "she was just here." That's how it feels when the loss is so new. I like Beth Nielsen Chapman's "Say Good Night not Good bye." This is surreal. I feel like Pete is on vacation. It seems like he will walk in any minute and say "hi Sue." His voice is still fresh upon my ear. It's almost like he's here.

Our loved ones are always with us. Thanks Pete for accepting me into your family and treating my like your own daughter. Thanks for raising such a wonderful son. He received his gifts of music and art from you. And you showed him how to treat a lady right. He is the man he is because you were the man you were. Your legacy lives on through him. I love you. I miss you. And I'll see you again. You're not getting rid of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment