Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Do the Right Thing


Two words that can make me slip up on this one are "even if." In every situation, I know the right thing to do. It may not be the thing I want to do. It may not be consistent with how I feel. I may fail. But I know.

I've been treated with dishonor and unfairness many times over the course of my life. I actually have a harder time "behaving" when one of my loved ones is mistreated. That brings out the protective "mama bear," which I learned from my mother. I want to play Dirty Harry and take the law into my own hands. I want to retaliate. I have had revenge-filled fantasies.

That response may be appropriate at times. While walking my dog by the school in my neighborhood, I observed a big kid picking on a smaller kid. The smaller kid was crying and shaking his fist. I just stood there with my all-knowing and empathetic Golden Retriever and looked the big kid in the eye. The big kid approached the smaller kid and put his arm around him. Justice wasn't mine, but I felt that my witnessing served a purpose.

I believe we are here to help each other. But I must discern which battles are mine and which are not. I am not God. I can't make anyone else do the right thing. But I can pray that they will. And I can respond appropriately. I don't get to retaliate or have a tantrum. Behaving badly is, well, my bad. Lecturing is probably pointless. I can calmly state how I feel. Then I need to let it go.

Harboring resentment is like burning down your own house to get rid of a rat. People will not always do what I want them to do. I still want to do the right thing. Even if they hurt me. Even if they steal from me. Even if they do not follow through on their promises. What goes around comes around. And I am not the administrator of that process. Somehow it all works for my good when I trust that God is in control. But some days, it's really, really tough.

2 comments:

  1. I've always been of the mindset that the only changes I can make are changes in myself. By changing our own behaviors, we actually can create change in others. And, you're right. Preaching does no good at all. But, living by example does wonders.

    Walking the walk is much more effective than talking the talk. Keep on walking, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But you know what you should really do, uh, oops, it's hard to break old habits! Thanks friend.

      Delete