Monday, August 2, 2010

Just say Yes!


One of my favorite songwriters wrote a song called “I Can’t Tell You No.” If you could see James Dean Hicks, you probably would have trouble telling him no too. But I digress. I love his line “all it takes is your sweet kiss, and yes starts rolling off my lips.” So much of life is about what we say yes or no to. This past weekend I said yes to almost everything. Yes I consumed too many calories…yes I lost sleep…yes I had a hangover three mornings in a row. Yes let’s meet after work at The Landing. Yes I’ll have some wine and yes I’ll have some real butter on that sourdough bread. Yes my mother-in-law can stay with us for the weekend. Yes let’s make that “not so easy” chicken pot pie recipe. Yes let’s drop more bucks than we can afford to see “Cinderella” at the Civic Arts Plaza. Yes let’s coordinate it so my sisters and brother-in-law can join us. Yes let’s buy cupcakes for $3.50 each, and let’s eat them. Yes I’ll go get a pizza. Yes I’ll give my testimony at church for both services. Yes I’ll sing too. Yes we can take Mom to mass. I did say “no” to Scrabble. I should have said yes. I would be batting a thousand. And I did pass on the Tequila shots because the headache isn’t worth it. It wasn’t really a no, because nobody asked me. The power of YES comes from its contrast to NO. If I always said yes to these things, they wouldn’t be as much fun. But do I wish I could say yes to all these things and more every weekend? YES, YES, YES!!! Here’s to more YES and less NO in life!

No comments:

Post a Comment