Saturday, March 31, 2012

Embracing the vision


I know I'm going to sound like I'm now a disciple of a new guru. My Christian brothers and sisters may be skeptical of my new-found fervor for Iyanla Vanzant. I listened to her Life Class on Oprah's OWN network yesterday (oprah.com/lifeclass) and "ahas" are going off in my head.

I have been punted out of a job into the air and am seeking a new vision for my next season. I read my Bible, my "Jesus Calling" book, go to counseling and attend 12-step meetings. I am seeking God's direction and not looking for a quick fix or a cult to join. I don't think one person has all the answers, and I know that Iyanla is a flawed human just like the rest of us. But wow, she is a great teacher. She has a way of guiding me to see things from a different perspective.

My desire has been to uncover any ways that I am limiting myself. She told a man who is struggling with similar issues that he is addicted to his story. Wow. If I keep telling the same story about myself instead of focusing on the new vision, of course I'm going to keep myself stuck.

I even wrote my life story, and as I looked at it with fresh eyes after hearing Iyanla's teaching I said "that's me! I'm addicted to my story!" A self-limiting obstacle has been identified.

So often I hear words that are supposed to help and they do not resonate with me. I hear them, but I don't feel them. That's the way my brain is wired. Or to put it another way, I see the ladder but I don't see the rungs. I don't get the "how do I apply this" part. Iyanla has a gift for demonstrating truth and wisdom in a way that I can feel, internalize, and apply so that I progress on the path that God has laid out for me.

God has been there all the time, and He gave me fellow travelers who believe in me. The only one messing it up was me. No more sob stories for me. I sing. I write. I dream. I can. I will. I'm going to. I am. And I refuse to fail.

No comments:

Post a Comment