Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Get moving!


I haven't been taking very good care of myself lately. I used to be an almost health nut. Somewhere along the line a glass of wine here and there became a daily habit. I stopped taking vitamins. My food planning became driven by whatever was on sale. And a four-times-a-week step aerobics class became twice a week low impact, then progressed to walking my dog, and now I throw the ball for him from my couch.

The results aren't pretty. Clothes don't fit. I see photos and think "what happened to me?" I went to the doctor and turned my back to the scale. I said "I don't want to see the number, just write it down and don't tell me." A man nearby said, "chicken." How honoring of my patient confidentiality.

There is so much pressure from advertisers to address this harshly with a Jenny Craig program or some magic metabolic pill. I'm more afraid of the hype than I am for my health! I just made a decision that I want to be healthy. If I commit to that each morning out of self love, I know what to do. Mostly get more active.

I will focus on the benefits. I know it will help me breathe better. I'll have more energy. I'll feel more positive. And it's a good way to tell the swarming buzzards of age and disease that they are not welcome here. My body is a temple and I've been treating it like a flop house.

One of the things I liked least about corporate life was having to sit at a computer all day. I dreamed of all the things I could do if I could only work from home. I'd take walks, dance around the house, jog on the beach, etc. I've been unchained for a month now and am I doing those things? Not so much. I must have gotten in a rut. Institutionalized. I think it's just getting started that's the hard part. That's why people say it's best to exercise at the beginning of the day.

Ok. New mindset. I embrace health. I bind the spirit of sickness. God please help me. I'm going in!

2 comments:

  1. I just sit & look from the couch at Lexi wagging her tail with her ball in front of her. If she'd put it on my lap, I'd probably throw it for her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's tough, G-d I know! I found the best way is to have walking/exercise partner. That way the days you don't feel like moving, they do, and visa-versa. After 2+ years of living with Trish, she has helped me lose 40 pounds through 4-5 days a week of walking and the gym's elliptical. Sue, I'm praying for your return to a healthy life. If this formerly sedentary 70 year- old can do it, anyone can.

    ReplyDelete