Friday, August 23, 2013

Here's to Harmony

The words “in harmony with humanity” have been going through my head. I think of them as I take a walk, call people, and just observe others throughout the day.

It’s so easy to judge. So easy to think “what a jerk,” or “such bad manners,” or even worse, pity someone. Pity is sooooo arrogant.

We watch TV and see the beautiful people with scripted lines and sculpted bodies and we subliminally interpret that as “normal” and “acceptable.” Like thinking people on the beach should look like the actors on Baywatch or something. Then you go to the beach and wonder what happened.

Being in harmony means adjusting our expectations. Looking beneath the surface. And realizing what we see is just a small part of the whole. I try to remember that someone who cuts me off on the road may be in a hurry to an ill loved one’s side. Or the checker who moves slowly may have been up all night with a crying baby. Even the lady in the park talking on her phone while her dog runs loose and terrorizes others may have a story. Or not. But she’s a human being who is more than her momentary irresponsible behavior. My being irritated at her only agitates me. I get the ulcer, not her.

My being at peace with imperfection is a much healthier state of mind and body. And it’s my choice, day by day, moment by moment. Digest the beauty. Spit out the ugly. Love unconditionally. God is watching. And He is on our side.

No comments:

Post a Comment