Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Another candle...


People seem to be quite curious about my age, especially lately. Example: "Sue, do you have kids?" "My kids are grown and I have grandkids." "What? Were you married when you were 12? You must be younger than I am!" Me: "Surprise is the right reaction!"

I like telling people I remember when Kennedy was shot. I like reciting other cultural references such as watching "Dark Shadows" after school or playing Bobby Sherman records. (yes, records) I still play some cassette tapes.

I guess it would be disheartening to feel like I look "old." But I truly believe age is a state of mind. And being happy with your age is a well-kept beauty secret. I've made friends with it.

I've known people who were old in their 20s, and I've known people who were young in their 90s. One in particular -- Frederee, my second mom. She is my "how to age" role model. She smiled a lot. She took an interest in people. She liked going places and doing things. She was open-minded and always learning. And she rarely complained. We were 50 years apart in age, yet I always loved being with her. I never thought of her as out of touch or unable to understand me.

I've always appreciated people with experience. In my 20s and 30s I hired vendors whose experience covered my behind. They knew their stuff, and I learned from them.

I like people with aliveness in their eyes. I want to be one of those people. I guess it helps that I've done a lot of things I wanted to do in my life. I've spent more time on the field than in the bleachers. I've lived, and I believe that there is more for me to do.

For anyone who believes that aging is painful because being young is better -- I say don't buy into that twisted thinking. Make the most of each day and year of your life. Auntie Mame said it best -- "Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death." I say there are two ages -- alive and not. And I'm glad to be alive at almost 55.

No comments:

Post a Comment