Wednesday, March 11, 2015

A Bridge to Faith


I read an article yesterday about the "watering down" of Christianity. It said, among other things, that many of today's Christians "pick and choose" what they like and disregard what they don't like, and that they choose the "feel good" aspects while ignoring the "rules." I wanted to agree, but my head was buzzing with authority rebellion. The tone did not invite introspection, rather the author drew a line in the sand and made a case for why those who think differently are wrong.

I was raised with zero spirituality. I was taught to work hard and accomplish something in life. Not bad lessons. But boy, when I failed, I had no sense of self worth. I thought failing and being a failure were the same thing. I had a sense that I was missing something -- and I looked for it. I found a "higher power" through the 12-step program, which gave me a rudder. I became a Christian in my 30s after a life-changing experience.

Before I understood about faith, many tried to "preach" to me, and all were unsuccessful. Churches made me feel like an outsider, like I wasn't truly "in the club," and I wasn't sure I wanted to be.

Yet I have a heart for evangelism. Go figure. I've communicated it mostly through songs.

Not worship songs. I still bump that church services begin with sing-along worship songs. Right away a visitor feels in the "out group" because they don't know the songs. And if they don't sing, it's even more uncomfortable. I see worship songs as something you grow into, not begin with.

To me, evangelism is all about hospitality. How do you help someone feel welcome in your home? You don't sit them in a corner and preach to them, right? Offer a beverage, a chair, give them a tour, show them where the amenities are, introduce them to someone, etc. Keep conversation light and go deeper gradually. I was raised to understand hospitality, so that is natural to me.

I like to share what led to my journey of faith. I was not perfect. I made major mistakes. I am human. What was my life like before my faith and what has changed since? If people ask questions, I answer them as best I can, but I do not close the sale unless I feel like that's where they are -- that they need to be asked these questions -- Are you ready to change your life? Do you want God to help you with that?"

I do not have exclusively Christian friends. I love people who "violate" the rules. I don't post dogmatic sayings or political stances on my Facebook page. Why? Because I don't think they persuade anyone, and they make me look like a preachy self-righteous person. I'd rather be approachable. Then God might choose to bring people to me who have questions and want to feel safe to ask them.

I think people find an answer to life and get excited to tell others about it. But it doesn't really convince anyone until you live the faith and the evidence is the new story of your life. And care about them. I agree with the saying that people don't care how much you know until they know how much you care.

I like my church because I can invite people and they don't feel preached at or pushed. They get information and can make their faith journey their own way, in their own time. They are told they can "dial direct" to God.

Let them explore "the rules" and work that part out themselves. Build bridges, not walls. Peace out.

2 comments: