Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Winners and Losers


American Idol's new season begins tonight. Stadiums full of wannabe singing stars wait hours for their shot at a team of so-called "experts" who will decide their fate. Many of them don't make it to the "real" judges. A relative handful make it to Hollywood, where the top 24 are selected and narrowed down to the top 12. You know the drill. Hope. Pressure. Disappointment. Elation. And sometimes even the winners seem to drift back into obscurity post-season. I've been a winner and a non-winner. But never a loser. You can only be a loser if you never try. I've tried out for cheerleader. to sing the National Anthem at Dodger stadium, for bands, for parts in plays and for the number one place in way too many "talent contests" to count. It's an experience that makes your mind spin and your entire body perspire. Your voice shakes. People look you up and down and all around. Sometimes they say "I don't know, I just don't like your voice." And sometimes - you get the prize. Why lie, it's nice. Standing in front of 38,000 fans singing "Oh say can you see..." is a thrill. A standing ovation after a "Star Search" modulated arrangement of "Over the Rainbow" is a moment I will never forget. In this photo I'm holding my prize. Having someone else deem me "a winner" feels great. But even more important is taking the chance of not being selected. You're a winner if you show up. Kudos to all the AI contestants. No guts, no glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment