Friday, February 5, 2010

Relax and Persevere


I have caused myself unnecessary stress by holding myself responsible for things out of my control. Like when I would get married. Or who would like my audition. And will the client like my idea. What a perfect recipe for stress. My mom used to say "all you can do is your best." Who knew I had the answer given to me way back then? I am responsible for the effort. God is responsible for the results. I can even blame God when I don't get the results I want. I'm so off the hook! Putting in effort is not easy, but it is not stressful. Stress is related to worry, which is bad for us. So I guess the trick is distinguishing between effort and stress. Persevering is good. Then let it go. The ego wants results. The heart wants a sense of purpose and reward. Straight A's, Grammy Awards and happy clients are not bad things to achieve. It's the motivation for the achievement that matters -- a big head or a happy heart. Seems to me a big head just leads to more pressure and more stress. Contentment of heart and soul is not based on results or perfection, but rather purpose. Contentment is my goal. I'll do my best not to stress over it.

No comments:

Post a Comment