Saturday, April 17, 2010

On Settling


Six months ago I wrote the following...

"A wise friend told me to add something new you need to let go of something else. I'm about to let something go. Not my husband, don't worry. Let's call it a painful pair of shoes. You won't find the right shoes if you keep wearing the wrong ones. I need to trust in the pain. Pain is a sign that something needs attention. I'm willing to go barefoot, to step out in faith that I don't need to live in pain beyond the season I've suffered through. And if memory serves me right from having done this before, it won't be long before I say 'I stayed in those shoes too long.'"

Zoom to the present...

The barefoot months were painful too. More than I ever imagined. Second guessing was my favorite pastime. It felt like the scene from Dr. Zhivago in which Omar Sharif treks through the snow for what must be weeks or months. Was it worth it? Heck Yeah! Now that I'm on the other side of that journey I'm glad I trusted my gut. The hard part is that the pain can get worse before it gets better. Pick your pain. Settling is a chronic, soul-eating pain. Jumping off a cliff is an acute, frightening and LOUD pain. The point is that one leads to something new and the other doesn't.

Instead of settling, I'm CELEBRATING!

I'm so happy I didn't settle. Be bold, be strong -- God is with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment