Thursday, April 8, 2010

Too good to be true?


I think I have landed a dream job. I'm nervous even typing that. I feel like I have gone from a trailer park in a cold, dreary town to Beverly Hills. It's an amazing culture shock. I am lecturing myself to not talk about my ghetto past to my new cube mates. But the contrast is giving me a deer-in-the-headlights expression that defies Botox. The moral lesson here was eloquently explained by my second Mom Frederee -- "If something drags you down, turn it a-loose." And there is so much pressure to tolerate abuse. Don't. Please, don't. Move on. God is with you in seeking respect. You don't earn respect by tolerating disrespect. And don't listen to people who tell you to "just accept it." You are good. You are worthy of respect. Don't put up with crap. I put up with it for too long, thinking "it's just me," "it's like this everywhere," "the world has changed," and "I must be more tolerant." NO! I must be more persistent. Detach with love. Move on. Hang with people you admire and want to be like. Make the effort to improve and strive for excellence. The gutter is no place to hang out. Rise above. You deserve it. And you're worth it!

2 comments:

  1. Detach with love. It took me awhile to learn that one. I'm good with "letting go" professionally; lots of learning to do on the personal side.

    ReplyDelete